xscreensaver

Hello;

When I setup xscreensaver from gnome control center it works fine. Doing
a "ps ux" shows it was called like so "xscreensaver -no-splash -timeout
15 -nice 20 -lock-mode -xrm *programs:?flag -ncolors 256 -cycles 3000
-size 1 -root". However, when I try to put this in "~/.Xclients" it
complains about *programs:?flag, -ncolors, -cycles, -size, and -root not
being known. How can I get it so that when I login (xdm) xscreensaver
is started automatically without having to go into gnome control center
each time? Yes I RTFM for xscreensaver, but it didn't tell me much.

TIA,

Ron