Re: Exim: frustrations configuring a satellite system

Well, you see how cumbersome it can be: I sent the orignal message yesterday to
users@lists.debian.org (which does not exist). I got no warning that the
message never arrived, but being cautious, I figured it out by myself this
morning. So I reposted the message to the correct address, still leaving
"users@lists.debian.org", to which you blindly Cc'ed. Did you receive a notice
that your Cc never arrived?

 Henrique> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Jean Orloff wrote:
 >> So there is a difference between the way Exim sends outgoing mail depending
 >> on whether it receives it from an SMTP session or from the command line
 >> (presumably a different "ENVELOPE-FROM" in the connection

 Henrique> [...]

 >> this difference, but I am tired of trying. And most of all, I cannot
 >> believe I am the first to encounter this problem! There must be a much
 >> simpler solution...

 Henrique> No, you're not. I had this problem, and also lots of headaches with
 Henrique> exim not being able to handle user-extension addresses
 Henrique> (user+extension@domain) rewriting in some situations (which cannot
 Henrique> be fixed without changing exim code. I asked in the exim ML ;^) ).

 Henrique> I know this is not what you want to hear, but ditching exim and
 Henrique> installing Postfix in its place solved the problems.  I do all three
 Henrique> of your requirements here with Postfix (NOT the default
 Henrique> configuration. You'll need to configure the thing by hand, as there
 Henrique> are no helper scripts... but at least the FAQ and docs are
 Henrique> good). Postfix doesn't have very powerful rewriting capabilities yet
 Henrique> (exim does have them), but what it already has is good enough for
 Henrique> me.

Sendmail envelope masquerading has also been working for me for 2 years. But
Sendmail is a bit heavy for the type of occasional use I want it for, and since
Exim is kind of the default debian MTA, I switched back, recovering the
headaches I had 4 years ago with smail (apparently a grand-father of Exim?).

I might give Postfix a try, if nobody has an Exim solution, which I would
consider grotesque! If Debian can't do better for personal mail than a stupid
Windblows system... We're talking about lost mail here, so this pretty
critical!

Amities,

		Jean Orloff