Of course, I added a line

   From: user@domain.net

in the header, and checked that this line was correctly present in
mails that arrived OK, so that a reply works OK. Then I wondered about
the header

    Sender: user@debsat.domain.net

that Exim insists in adding whenever the address in "From:" differs
from the local one, even if "user" is in the list of trusted users. I
even added a rewriting rule to change that to

     Sender: user@domain.net

But all this had no effect. I then tried from netscape. Selecting
"mailserv.domain.net" as outgoing SMTP server works perfect. And
surprise: selecting "debsat.domain.net" works equally well, with or
without sender rewriting.

So there is a difference between the way Exim sends outgoing mail
depending on whether it receives it from an SMTP session or from the
command line (presumably a different "ENVELOPE-FROM" in the connection
with the smarthost?). I'm pretty sure there must be a way to abolish
this difference, but I am tired of trying. And most of all, I cannot
believe I am the first to encounter this problem! There must be a much
simpler solution...

Any help and info most welcome!

To recap: I want my debian satellite system "debsat.domain.net" to

1) merge local administrative mail and outside incoming mail with
   fetchmail

2) have local users with same "user" names and mail names "user@domain.net"

3) be able to send outgoing mail with simple mailers like unix "mail"
   that knows nothing about SMTP, with the correct return address
   "user@domain.net" to allow simple replies and make sure any error
   message about the outgoing mail is sent to that same address
   (instead of "user@debsat.domain.net" which is not reachable)

The previous sendmail configuration script apparently did this fine,
but the new frozen one doesn't seem to.

Amities,

		Jean Orloff
+ Tel:(33)473.40.72.27                                Fax: (33)473.26.45.98  +
Lettre re?çue par une Compagnie d'Assurance.
   (de "Lettres allum?ées et courriers d?élirants, M. Petit, Eds. Max Valentin)

     C'est un chien dangereux, de ceux qui mangent des caniches ?à la t?él?é.