Gnome always crashes...help

The latest Gnome from frozen, for the last month or so, has been totally
useless for me. It constantly crashes, more so than ever.

This is my .xsession:

xset dpms 1800 2700 3600
exec sawmill-gnome &
exec gnome-session

But often Gnome will crash, while Sawmill will keep on working. For
instance, all launcher buttons no longer work; the shortcuts on the desktop
stop working, etc., but I can move the windows around and such.

Should I just bag Gnome? Why is this happening? Someone here suggested the
exec sawmill-gnome & line, but this hasn't helped.

I hate to say this, but KDE doesn't do this.
--
David J. Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu