Re: Gnome always crashes...help

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:26:07AM -0600, David J. Kanter wrote:
> The latest Gnome from frozen, for the last month or so, has been totally
> useless for me. It constantly crashes, more so than ever.
>
> This is my .xsession:
>
> xset dpms 1800 2700 3600
> exec sawmill-gnome &
> exec gnome-session

Ouch, don't do that. Let gnome-session handle the window-manager. You're
just confusing the hell out of gnome.

replace the above with,

exec gnome-session

Use the gnome-control-panel to select/change your window manager. I'm a
fairly recent convert to gdm and xsm as they ease having multiple
session types with widely different configurations.

Also, you can configure the dpms settings globally in XF86Config.

> But often Gnome will crash, while Sawmill will keep on working. For
> instance, all launcher buttons no longer work; the shortcuts on the desktop
> stop working, etc., but I can move the windows around and such.

This is because you exec first sawmill, then gnome-session (which
probably doesn't ever get executed anyway -- sawmill must be doing the
work). This will happen if you "exec <some wm>" then run gnome-session,
and then log out of gnome (ahh, but the window manager is still
running).

> Should I just bag Gnome? Why is this happening? Someone here suggested the
> exec sawmill-gnome & line, but this hasn't helped.

"exec" replaces the currently running processes with whatever follows
it (more or less). See man exec (bash builtins) for an explanation.

> I hate to say this, but KDE doesn't do this.

Does your .xsession for kde look like

exec fvwm2 &
startkde

??

Probably not.

(Just so you don't get the wrong impression, I'm no gnome zealot. I'm
happily using flwm and tkdesk at the moment. Gnome and KDE apps run fine,
well except the kde ones -- "Wrong Charset...ad infinitum").

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |