Re: what is ginstall?

> I have had this experience with two machines running Debian.  While compiling
> some apps, during 'make install', I get an error about not
> finding "ginstall".  I solved this by making a symlink:
>
> ln -s install ginstall
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

I take it this is not a debianized source?  Often if GNU utilities are
installed on non-GNU unices, they get a `g' prepended to their name, so
on an SGI machine, you may find gmake (GNU make) together with make
(IRIX make), and gtar (GNU tar) together with tar (IRIX tar).  I suppose
the app you were trying to compile has been developed on a platform that
both had a native install and a GNU install.  I personally would edit
the makefile instead of adding links on my system, but that probably is
a matter of taste.

HTH,
Eric

--