Don't use gcc 2.95 with 2.2.x kernels, revisted

Recently folks here pointed out to me that it was known that gcc 2.95 is
not to be used for 2.2.x kernels.

Others said that it was OK with 2.2 kernels but not 2.0 kernels.

Looking at various kernel and gcc deb packages in potato, I saw hints of
the latter statement, but it didn't seem real clear.

Just now I came across the following for 2.2.13 (I'm using 2.2.14). Still,
that's good enough for me. Since the two compilers co-exist quite nicely
on my potato system, I'm going back to gcc272 to build my 2.2.14 kernel
even though it seems to be running OK since I built it last week.

http://kernelnotes.org/kpatch22.html

Linux 2.2.13 Release Notes

      Errata

      Compilers
      This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. It is
known that not all of it builds validly on the x86 CPU's with gcc
      2.95. As far as we know these are Linux not gcc issues. Fixes for
gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.0 may go into Linux 2.2 in time. You should
      therefore not use gcc 2.95 to build stable kernels for the moment.

...RickM...