Re: Don't use gcc 2.95 with 2.2.x kernels, revisted

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 02:37:42PM -0700, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> http://kernelnotes.org/kpatch22.html

bah, kernelnotes is inherently outdated...

> Linux 2.2.13 Release Notes
>
>       Errata
>
>       Compilers
>       This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. It is
> known that not all of it builds validly on the x86 CPU's with gcc
>       2.95. As far as we know these are Linux not gcc issues. Fixes for
> gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.0 may go into Linux 2.2 in time. You should
>       therefore not use gcc 2.95 to build stable kernels for the moment.

that was 2.2.13, check the 2.2.14 Errata page (which kernelnotes still
has not bothered to post):

http://www.linux.org.uk/VERSION/relnotes.2214.html

---
Errata

Compilers
This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs
1.1.2. Patches for building with gcc 2.95 are merged but less tested
than other compilers. Caution is recommended when using gcc 2.95 and
feedback is sought.
---

so the kernel developers will no longer blow off bug reports if the
compiler used was 2.95, in fact they now welcome bug reports related
to compiler issues.

in short, if you want a definitely stable kernel use egcs 1.1.2 if you
want to take a [very] slight risk 2.95 is fine.

--
Ethan Benson