Re: Problems with DSELECT

Well, there is "http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages";

Choose the distribution you want (stable, unstable or frozen), then
snoop around until you find what you need.  All the dependencies are
shown for each package and you have the opportunity to download those
packages you need/want.  Use "dpkg -l <package-name>" to check if
something is already installed on your system if you are unsure.

The "dpkg -i /path/to/downloaded/packages/*.deb" command will install
everything you have downloaded (well, as long as they all end up in the
same directory), sorting out the dependencies as it goes.  You may need
to do a "dpkg --configure --pending" when the install is finished to get
everything configured.

This is almost as manual as you can get.

I recommend you stick with the stable distribution for now.
You can get the X stuff, built for slink (stable) from
"http://www.debian.org/~vincent/";.
(this last URL is from memory, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I
got it wrong).

- Bruce

--
<...>