Unable to log in via console

Ok, here's an interesting one, Installed potato recently and added KDE
into the equation, Start the machine, everything works perfectly, you
can log in via kdm etc, su in a console to do superuser etc.
Yesterday tho, i decided i wanted to do something in console, pressed
ctrl-alt-f1 to drop to a console, and I can't log in.
Any suggestions? I can still do everything in KDE, log in, su etc, but
just flat out can't log in on console, even as root.

Peter Good.