weird problem with new kernel (8000)

A friend of mine has been setting up a new box with debian to do a
variety of things, we decided that we wanted to run kernel 2.2.x for
various reasons but we have not beenm able to get it to boot.

When we install the new kernel and _try_ to reboot it prints

LILO: new

8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
8000
and so on and so on.
It doesn't even reach the "uncompressing kernel" stage.

has anyone else come accross this problem and knows what we are doing
wrong?

thanks,
Tim.

--

Tim Nicholas
tim@krondor.earthlight.co.nz

"Let the frantic Goddess and delerious drunk cry
together in shadow for the puppy's sad stare,
the forest and the death of the moon."