Re: pppd/modem frustration.

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 10:33:45PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> I've posted a question about this earlier this week, but nobody responded.
> Is it that much out of the ordinary that no-one can give me some hints or
> tips?
>
> - when connecting to my ISP the connection comes up with the correct flow
> rate 11500
> - after about 8 kb of upstreaming data communication stops
> - soon after pppd dies suddenly
>
> I thought is might be a flow control problem, so I set the init string of
> my modem to ATZ&K3, but this didn't help a bit. I don't have another
> machine to test the pcmcia modem, but when I hook an external to my Acer
> TM512 dialup works fabulous. Modem has a hardware failure or still pppd?
> Come on guys, Linux ain't much fun without an internet connection, so help
> me out on this one, will ya?

Laptop = more expensive = less common = less experts.

A couple of things I would suggest are :

1. See if you can get a diagnostic tool from your manufacturer's web
   site.  This should be able to check the lower level functioning of
   the card.

2. Standard reply - have you checked /var/log/messages to see if there
   is and explanation for the death of the PPP connection ?  Post the
   extracts if you're note sure how to decipher.

--
Regards,
Paul