Re: pppd/modem frustration.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Hans wrote:

> I've posted a question about this earlier this week, but nobody responded.
> Is it that much out of the ordinary that no-one can give me some hints or
> tips?
>
> - when connecting to my ISP the connection comes up with the correct flow
> rate 11500
> - after about 8 kb of upstreaming data communication stops
> - soon after pppd dies suddenly
>
> I thought is might be a flow control problem, so I set the init string of
> my modem to ATZ&K3, but this didn't help a bit. I don't have another
> machine to test the pcmcia modem, but when I hook an external to my Acer
> TM512 dialup works fabulous. Modem has a hardware failure or still pppd?
> Come on guys, Linux ain't much fun without an internet connection, so help
> me out on this one, will ya?
>
> --Hans

Hi, Hans,

	I think I've got the same problem. I have a Asus-7300 series
notebook and use a PCMCIA card to dial up to my isp. I can correctly
connect to the ISP and set up tcp/ip connections to the outside world
(for about "only" 3 minutes).

The first weird thing I noticed is the content in ppp.log:
Feb 10 22:14:28 newton pppd[449]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x8 magic=0xa88cda89]
Feb 10 22:14:28 newton pppd[449]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x8 magic=0x0]
Feb 10 22:14:58 newton pppd[449]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x9 magic=0xa88cda89]
Feb 10 22:14:58 newton pppd[449]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x9 magic=0x0]
Feb 10 22:15:28 newton pppd[449]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xa magic=0xa88cda89]
Feb 10 22:15:58 newton pppd[449]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xb magic=0xa88cda89]
Feb 10 22:16:28 newton pppd[449]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xc magic=0xa88cda89]

That is, the remote ppp server stop to response to my Echo request and the
up-link communication stops at the same time. It seems (from the content
of my ppp.log) that after 4 un-acknowledged Echo requests, the pppd would
begin to send link termination requests. After 10 un-acknowledged link
termination requests, the pppd demean would die automatically.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to solve this problem.

About the flow control, there is an example in ppp FAQ that use crtscts as
an option of pppd. Did you test this option before? By the way, how do you
generate this "cardctl ident" information?

	Regards,

Jonathan Chang