Install problem

(newbie problem!)

I'm using the two-CD set to install Debian on a 486. I choose one of the
standard (C devel) packages during install. When I'm dumped into
dselect, I go through Access, Update, and Install as instructed
(including putting both CDs in in turn and rerunning Install, and
including following up with Configure, Remove, Quit).

But I can't get (for example) the man command to get installed. When I
got back to dselect to try to get it by hand, dselect shows it marked
for installation; but no matter how many times I put in one and the
other CD, it never does get installed. There are other things not going
on (I don't have an exhaustive list) -- but for a beginner, this one's critical!

Does anyone recognize this problem?

Charles Hartman
cohar@conncoll.edu

=============== REALLY newbie problems ========================

In case somebody's got a moment's patience for simplicities, I have
three really basic questions about using Linux (which man might be able
to answer if I could get at it!):

1) How do I access other devices (for example the CD), such as to use ls
to find out what's on them?

2) If I add another piece of equipment (such as an extra hard drive),
how do I go about acquainting the system with that fact? Do I re-run
install? But that's a DOS command and DOS has gone away now . . .

3) What's the proper way to shut down the system? I can reboot (which
does an orderly shutdown) and kill the power during the reboot, but that
seems crude.

Thanks . . .