Re: Running X on a Toshiba Tecra 8000

Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl> writes:

> I cannot seem to get X running on my Tecra 8000. I have installed Debian
> 2.1r3. I run XF86Setup and select the NeoMagic card. For the rest I have
> tried a lot of different combinations for screen and the like, but non
> give me a decent 1024x786 immage.
> Has anyone managed to get this working properly?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help or pointers! (a copy XF86Config would be nice
> also :-))

Attached is the XF86Config that I use. As somebody else mentioned, you
might want to upgrade to a newer version of X - I am using 3.3.5.

I have a UK keyboard - you will probably want to edit that bit.

I do have one problem: Using Fn-F5 you can cycle the video output
between TFT only, VGA output only, and both. The latter is preferable
when using the machine to give a presentation. This works fine under
windows (NT), and it works fine in the Linux console. However, in X,
when I switch to "both" mode, both screens are corrupt. So I suspect
that the modelines in my config file could be improved...

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock
  Leicester University            phone:         (+44) 116 252 3902