RE: Socket 7 question

>From personal experience with that particular board, I highly recommend
spending a few extra dollars and purchase a different motherboard, sound and
video card.  The PC100 boards use the SiS5xx series chipset, with SiS530
video and a more or less generic sound codec.  These boards are difficult to
set up under Windows, I haven't been able to fathom the setup of Linux on
the machine.  The computer shop I currently work for carried these boards
for a _very_ short while (about 3 boards) and only because of the demand for
a low-cost all-in-one solution.  We currently will not even supply special
requests for the PC100 boards because of the troubles we had with the first
3, all issues were confirmed with other system builders in the area, so it
was not just a bad production run.

Again, I hold absolutely no reservation in recommending that you don't
purchase this particular board.  You will save some money with this board,
but the money saved will not be worth the setup fun you will have.

just my $0.02.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Lord Kyusix [mailto:lordk6@888.nu]
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 1:12 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Socket 7 question

Hello guys!

  I am about to buy a PC100 Systemboard M598MR mainboard with a super
socket 7 wich cames with an AMD K6-III processor. This board have
built-in sound (about which the manual says "meets PC98 audio
specification, full-duplex playback and recording with built-in 16-bit
CODEC, and blah blah blah), built-in graphics system (AGP Graphics
Accelerator= AGP ver.1 with 66/133 MHz) and a built-in FAX/Modem 56k6
DAA V.90, V.34, blah blah blah. I **need** to know if this board is
compatible with 2.2.x linux kernel series (I use potato) and if I will
be able to set all this built-in stuff up (without coding, of course ;D
)?????

  TIA

  []s, Lord K6