Re: kerneld installed in /init/rdN.d

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 01:55:06PM -0500, Marc Sherman wrote:
> From: "Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net>
> > >
> > There's no guarantee that an update of modutils won't wipe out those
> > changes. Better to change the links in the runlevels.
> >
> > $ update-rc.d -f kerneld remove
> > $ update-rc.d kerneld stop 12 6 .
> >
> > As long as you leave one link (in this case a stop link), updates to
> > modutils/kerneld won't cause the default runlevel setting to be
> > recreated.
>
> Thanks Eric.  Am I correct that it should be removed
> when running a 2.2 kernel?  Is this a bug in the potato
> installation (since potato comes with a 2.2 kernel)?

Well, some folks may choose to run the 2.0.x series with potato, so I
don't think removal is desirable for them. Since /etc/init.d/kerneld looks to
/etc/modules and checks for the "noauto" directive, simply adding that
will also disable kerneld. It should probably be disabled by default in
a potato setup since the default kernel is a 2.2.x version. But I'd only
consider this a bug if it was a fresh potato install -- Slink upgraders
might still be using 2.0.x series.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |