Re: kerneld installed in /init/rdN.d

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 03:02:30AM -0500, Marc Sherman wrote:
> What's the recommended way to remove kerneld?  I
> didn't want to go mucking about in the rdN.d
> directories, so I just modified /etc/init.d/kerneld
> (which is what the links in the rcN.d directories
> point to) to add an
>     echo "kerneld not run for 2.2+ kernel" ; exit
> to the beginning.  Is this a suitable way to disable
> it?

There's no guarantee that an update of modutils won't wipe out those
changes. Better to change the links in the runlevels.

$ update-rc.d -f kerneld remove
$ update-rc.d kerneld stop 12 6 .

As long as you leave one link (in this case a stop link), updates to
modutils/kerneld won't cause the default runlevel setting to be
recreated.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |