Re: Is it safe to upgrade debhelper to potato, leaving the rest of slink?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 11:32:50AM +0100, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to compile/install the ted package on my slink box. Unfortunately
> the slink debhelper lacks the dh_installmime and dh_link functions, (and
> maybe some others) needed by the source package of ted.
> Is it safe to upgrade the debhelper alone, and leave the rest of the slink
> untouched? (I'm afraid, that I will be unable to recompile any standard
> slink packages after such change :-( ).

Using Potato's debhelper will place docs under /usr/share/docs
and man pages under /usr/share/man, and recent versions use switches
to chown that are not available in slink.  Potato's debhelper also
requires perl5, which is not available for slink.

I backported debhelper 2.0.61 to slink to allow me to compile
potato sources for slink, and if you like I could mail you a copy;
it's about 96Kb.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au