Is it safe to upgrade debhelper to potato, leaving the rest of slink?

Hi All,

I'd like to compile/install the ted package on my slink box. Unfortunately
the slink debhelper lacks the dh_installmime and dh_link functions, (and
maybe some others) needed by the source package of ted.
Is it safe to upgrade the debhelper alone, and leave the rest of the slink
untouched? (I'm afraid, that I will be unable to recompile any standard
slink packages after such change :-( ).

--
				TIA
	                      Wojciech M. Zabolotny