Re: VMWare, 98 and Linux

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> Thus spake Kent West (westk@acu.edu):
>
> > "Robert L. Harris" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok,
> > >   Here's the scenario, I have a 6Gig windows drive and 4 Gig Linux.  The
> > > 6 is divided into 1 and 6 (/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 respectivly).  I have
> > > 98 on /dev/hda1.  I run this one nativly(sp?) and don't want to run it
> > > under vmware as it will trash my drivers, etc.  I can't blow it away as
> > > Rogue Spear won't run under it vmware yet.  I'd like to put 98 on /dev/hda2
> > > and hide /dev/hda1 from windows so it won't even know it exists (causes
> > > problems otherwise).
> > >
> > >   Has anyone found a way to "hide" a partition or another workaround
> > > like this yet?
> > >
> > > Robert
> >
> > So you want to put Win98 on both /dev/hda1 (already there) and /dev/hda2, and not let
> > the Win98 on /dev/hda2 see the /dev/hda1 partition (and it's corresponding Win98
> > installation)?
> >
> > And presumably you meant that the 6GB drive is partitioned into 1GB and 5GB (which
> > equals 6), rather than 1GB and 6GB (which equals 7).
> >
> > What I'd do is convert the /dev/hda2 partition to ext2 and mount it under /win, then
> > use VMWARE to create a new virtual machine in /win, and install Win98 to it. This
> > Win98 won't see the Win98 on /dev/hda1 since it's in a totally different (virtual)
> > computer, which is "powered off" when Linux/VMWARE is up and running. This assumes
> > that Rogue Spear is run on the /dev/hda1 copy of Win98, and you don't have any such
> > apps on the /dev/hda2 copy of Win98 that won't run under VMWARE.
> >

> Yes I meant 1 and 5.
>
> I can't convert /dev/hda2 to ext2 or all the software, apps, etc on
> /dev/hda2 won't be visible to the windows partition on /dev/hda1 and
> I won't be able to "share" a single install instead of multiple installs
> of the same softwre.
>
> Robert

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but I'm still a little hazy on
what you're trying to do.

Do you plan on having two Win98 installs, one on /dev/hda1
and one on /dev/hda2? If so, you want the /dev/hda1 Win98 to
be able to see the /dev/hda2 partition, but you don't want
the reverse (e.g. /dev/hda2 Win98 to see the /dev/hda1
partition)?

If this is the case, you might can partition one with fat16
and the other with fat32, but I think you'll have to use an
early version of Win95 on the fat16 partition because I
think Win98 can see both types, whereas the early version of
Win95 may can only see fat16, effectively hiding the fat32
partition from it.