Single and multi CD installation solved (was Re: debs)

Quoting dkphoto (dkphoto@cyber-wire.com):

> Oops, too late. In a pique of fury I reformatted the drive in question
> and started clean. This time I triple-checked everything I entered before
> entering it and made it all the way to the screen that asks if I am
> installing from multi- or single CD.
>
> Having very carefully read the instructions (bought a book on installing
> Debian Linux which gave the same instructions and therefore reassured
> me), I chose the multi-CD method.
>
> As it asked me to input paths, I did, and am certain (how could I not
> after so much practice) I got them right. Then of course I hit the update
> button, and dselect prompty FAILED!!!
>
> I tried to just go ahead and install. Dselect failed again. Then I
> remembered that someone told me that once I had selected a package, that
> package remained selected, even if dselect was abandoned and started
> again later, so...
>
> I went back, chose the single CD entry, entered all the correct paths
> again, hit update and voila! It updated. Then I hit install and this time
> it is actually installing some of the files as it goes through the list,
> instead of skipping them all.
>
> So, there is absolutely no doubt about it. The CORRECT way is to select
> single CD, not multi-, as the so-called 'instructions' say, and to use
> multi- only if you actually HAVE the 2nd CD.

With a better choice of subject line, your posting would be easier
for other people to find. You could submit a bug report with your
correction, assuming it hadn't already been reported.

> No doubt about it... those authors really should do hard time!

I think you should reread the rant that Paul posted in message id
[🔎] 200001300556.AAA16370@j001.june.net !

Cheers,