Re: debs

>I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this. But, if I were you, I
>wouldn't re-install, no matter what state dselect was in.

Oops, too late. In a pique of fury I reformatted the drive in question
and started clean. This time I triple-checked everything I entered before
entering it and made it all the way to the screen that asks if I am
installing from multi- or single CD.

Having very carefully read the instructions (bought a book on installing
Debian Linux which gave the same instructions and therefore reassured
me), I chose the multi-CD method.

As it asked me to input paths, I did, and am certain (how could I not
after so much practice) I got them right. Then of course I hit the update
button, and dselect prompty FAILED!!!

I tried to just go ahead and install. Dselect failed again. Then I
remembered that someone told me that once I had selected a package, that
package remained selected, even if dselect was abandoned and started
again later, so...

I went back, chose the single CD entry, entered all the correct paths
again, hit update and voila! It updated. Then I hit install and this time
it is actually installing some of the files as it goes through the list,
instead of skipping them all.

So, there is absolutely no doubt about it. The CORRECT way is to select
single CD, not multi-, as the so-called 'instructions' say, and to use
multi- only if you actually HAVE the 2nd CD.

No doubt about it... those authors really should do hard time!

David Kachel