Video problems

I have tried to setup Caldera's linux x11 Windows for the first time and I am finding it imposible. Surely, someone can design a default configuration setup easier than this! I find it hard to believe that after two days I still cannot get a Window on the screen not even 16 colour vga!

As someone new to Linus it seems obvious hat it should default to a standard vga mode, as per MS Windows.

If I cannot get it going tomorrow I will have to revert to hated Gates products.