Re: Video problems

> I have tried to setup Caldera's linux x11 Windows for the first time and =
> I am finding it imposible. Surely, someone can design a default =
> configuration setup easier than this! I find it hard to believe that =
> after two days I still cannot get a Window on the screen not even 16 =
> colour vga!=20

I believe that Caldera has their own mailing list.  I'll try to help
regardless.
You need to be able to answer these questions in order to configure XFree86:

1)What video card are you using?
2)What chipset does it use?
3)How much videoram does it have?
4)What are the horizontal sync capabilities of your monitor?
5)What are the vertical sync capabilities of your monitor?
6)What kind of mouse are you using?

The XFree86-HOW-TO will help to explain the questions, and to help you explain
your difficulties with XFree86.  It can be found (on Debian systems, but maybe
Caldera also) in /usr/doc/HOWTO.

> As someone new to Linus it seems obvious hat it should default to a =
> standard vga mode, as per MS Windows.

X is very different from MS Windows.  It would be both impractical and
undesirable for such a "default mode" to be implemented.  After you have some
experience with XFree86, you will understand why.

I would recommend that you use this offered information to get help from
Caldera, but if this is impractical, I am willing to help.  I can't say the
same for the others on debian-user as they must speak for themselves. ;-)

-ptw-