SCSI devices not detected

The Debian 2.0 rescue disk does, the 2.1 disk does not boot on a 1998 PC
with on board aic7880 scsi adapter, one scsi hdd, and two cd drives. In
v2.1 the controller and the hdd are detected but the boot process locks
when it would come to detecting the cd-s.  I compiled a few kernels with
aic7xxx driver, from the range  2.0.38 to 2.2.13, the result is the
same.

There was a similar sounding scsi detection problem discussed in
December, subject "AHA-1520B/1522B SCSI controller".  The advice was
"add "append=x,x,x,x" to your /etc/lilo.conf file to force detection at
boot".  I could not find out from <kernel source>/drivers/scsi/* files
what the numbers to be appended should be.

I have been getting an error message about "illegal cable configuration,
only two cables may be connected ...".  But this is there also for the
kernel 3.0.34, which does boot, and I have seen the same message on a PC
with a Symbios scsi controller, again booting perfectly.  My hdd is
UWII, the cd-s (one is a cd writer) have older scsi sockets, therefore I
use two cables.

Comments would be greatly appreciated. Please reply also to personal
e-address for I am not a subscriber to the mailing list.

Geza Gyorgyi
Eotvos University
Budapest, Hungary
gyorgyi@glu.elte.hu