Re: Lilo & hdb

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:33:23AM -1000, Jason Christensen wrote:

> You're right about the linux device structure regarding physical disks. I
> however am using the same map-drive lines in my lilo.conf as you are,
> except I am booting windows from the primary slave (hdb1). Why is it that
> the same map-drive lines work for both you and I even though we are
> booting from different physical drives?

I think the bios uses 0x80 to refer to the first hard disk, and 0x81 for
the second, whichever interface it happens to be on, and it knows to skip
cd-roms.  I've used 0x81 for both hdb and hdc (I have the same setup as
Tom atm).

/usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz gives examples using the same numbers
for SCSI disks too.

Matt

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk