Re: help with dselect (on m68k)

David Kachel wrote:
> You're right. It's been a very frustrating day all around. Sorry.
>
> It seems I do indeed also have an issue with mounting the CD. Dselect
> asks me for the name of a block device. Since I cannot find that term
> anywhere in any of the documentation, I'm stuck! What is a block device,
> and how do I get its name? (Should I name it Shirly, Bruce, Albatross?)

Block device names follow a simple naming convention under Linux. For example,
the first disk on the first ide controller is always /dev/hda, the second is
always /dev/hdb, etc.  I believe, but am not sure, that the m68k achetecture
uses scsi devices only. Scsi devices would be named /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.
On your system you would need to know how many scsi devices are installed on
your scsi controller (I believe your machine is likely to only have one scsi
controller, but I could be wrong.) Check the scsi id numbers on each of your
scsi devices and determine where your cdrom fits in the order. (if you have
three scsi devices with scsi id numbers 1, 3, and 6, and your cdrom has been
assigned scsi id 6, then your cdrom is /dev/sdc).

I hope that this helps somewhat.  My help may be inacurate in some minor ways
as I am not familiar with the m68k archetecture. You can feel free to flame me
horribly if I've steered you wrong.  I sugest that you visit
<http://www.linux-m68k.org> , <http://www.mac.linux-m68k> for better
information.

Have fun!

-ptw-