Re: help with dselect (on m68k)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, dkphoto wrote:

> It seems I do indeed also have an issue with mounting the CD. Dselect
> asks me for the name of a block device. Since I cannot find that term
> anywhere in any of the documentation, I'm stuck! What is a block device,
> and how do I get its name? (Should I name it Shirly, Bruce, Albatross?)

amber{jgg}~#dmesg | grep -i cd
hdb: CD-ROM 36X/AKW, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdb: ATAPI 36X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.55

/dev/hdb is the block device name for the CD. It will be printed during
bootup, but you can review the boot messages with the 'dmesg' command. You
should edit /etc/fstab and put an entry like this:

/dev/hdb        /cdrom        auto   noauto,ro,defaults,user    0      0

Depending on your m68k, your CD interface may be something entirely
different (scsi?) or it may need a special module..  Look at the boot
messages.

Jason