startup/shutdown problem

During shutdown process, I SOMETIME obtain the following error message :

(A)   "can't umount /dev/hda3, '/' is busy".

When I boot Linux again I obtain :

(B)   "/dev/hda3 has reached maximum mount count, check forced..."

and It seems Linux is scanning my /dev/hda3 partition.
At the end :

(C)   "12345 blocks not contiguous (4.3 %)...."

(NOTE: 12345 is not the real number, because it change every time)

After those strange messages, Linux continue the booting process, normally
and
all on my System SEEMS ok.

I sometime obtain the messages (b)(C) without having the error message (a)
previuosly.

What's wrong ?
Does Linux need 'defrag' as DOS/WINDOWS ??????

I have got Debian 2.1 on a Pentium 120 Intel, /dev/hda3 is my primary Linux
partition
on a "Conner Peripherals Hard disk" with 1.2 GByte.
I have got another Linux partition (/dev/hdb2) on a different hard disk
(Fujitsu with 4.3 GByte), and I SOMETIME obtain on it the same error
messages (A)(B)(C).

I have got the kernel 2.2.13 compiled by myself, and I took care of all
configuration
parameters, but I still have got the problem.

During the boot process, I ALWAYS obtain the following message too:

(D)   "SIOCADDRT: invalid argument"

Have you got any idea about those strange behaviours ?

Thank you to all.