Re: startup/shutdown problem

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 lorenzo.zampese@notes.electrolux.it wrote:

> During shutdown process, I SOMETIME obtain the following error message :
>
> (A)   "can't umount /dev/hda3, '/' is busy".

I'm not sure what would cause this, but it can happen if the init scripts
try to close down the root partition before all the processes have died.
If you have a process that won't die, this can happen.  But it doesn't
really hurt anything, since the files are in a pretty clean state anyway.

> (B)   "/dev/hda3 has reached maximum mount count, check forced..."

This just means exactly what it says.  Every so often, a filesystem gets
checked, whether it needs it or not.

> (C)   "12345 blocks not contiguous (4.3 %)...."

Tells you how many of your files are not contiguous on the disk.  4.3% is
a very good percentage.

> Does Linux need 'defrag' as DOS/WINDOWS ??????

A defrag exists for Linux but you don't need to use it.  The Linux kernel
keeps the filesystems pretty defragmented as it is.  If you split /usr and
/home off on separate partitions, it stays even more defragmented.

> During the boot process, I ALWAYS obtain the following message too:
>
> (D)   "SIOCADDRT: invalid argument"

This usually means that a device, probably a network card, had a problem
with the configuration.  If everything seems to be working correctly,
ignore it.