Re: new to debian...

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 12:48:35PM -0500, Jim Kannengieser wrote:
> Thank you for this suggestion. I tried it last night and the upgrade went
> very well, except for one problem. X no longer starts. I get a specific
> socket-related error message, but I left the text of it at home and won't
> have be able to quote it for a while. However, I can say that even
> XF86Setup failed to connect to the X server. X was pretty bad for me
> before the upgrade to potato because the version of xfree86 that came with
> slink didn't recognize my Matrox G200 AGP card. I'll play with things
> tonight and see what progress I can make.

If your using XF86Setup, I believe it requires the VGA16 server (so
you'll need that, as well as the SVGA server).  There's also text-mode
xf86config.  Also, I had to set the video ram, XF86Setup didn't set it
properly (8192 = 8MB).

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |