Re: new to debian...

Thank you for this suggestion. I tried it last night and the upgrade went
very well, except for one problem. X no longer starts. I get a specific
socket-related error message, but I left the text of it at home and won't
have be able to quote it for a while. However, I can say that even
XF86Setup failed to connect to the X server. X was pretty bad for me
before the upgrade to potato because the version of xfree86 that came with
slink didn't recognize my Matrox G200 AGP card. I'll play with things
tonight and see what progress I can make.

On a happy note, I am impressed with debian so far. It is very easy to
upgrade (I thought rpm was sweet, but I'm falling for apt and
dselect). And I have never had an easier time compiling a custom kernel
than I had under slink. Compiling custom kernels under rh was always risky
business. I'll be glad to get my problems with X resolved so I can really
enjoy this system.

Jim