Re: Help me with glibc

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:25:08PM -0500, Robert Beranek wrote:
> could you please tell me exactly which packages did you install,
> beacuse when i want to install libc6_2.1.2-11.deb it says that i
> should update timezone package which i cannot find.

Greetings,

this is gonna be a looong posting. ;->

BTW: You definately should get in touch with the debian-devel
ML and ask there how the libc-upgrade is organized. This part
of the system is subject to constant change and I do not
know much about the work being done there, since I am no longer
subscribed to debian-devel.

First about debian dependencies:

if I remember right, I ran apt-get over the libc-upgraded system
to fix broken dependencies. I am not sure, but maybe I used
a dpkg --force option to drop unstable libc and libc-dev. If it
comes down to that I would try to compile glibc 2.1 with =unchanged=
(!) slink libs first and observe the results! Anything else comes down
to severe system-bashing, as I will explain below.
However - yes, I had some trouble with timezones later, especially
"date" complained about the timezone not beeing set.
You will probably have to use the tools in package base/timezone
namely "tzselect", "tzconfig" and "zic".

Other means of fixing the problem:

If this leads to no success, here is how I do it on my system. This of
course is not covered by debian policy since I use self compiled tools
from non-debian packages (tarball releases)!
Since I manage my environment over a couple of scripts executed
at login time, it was rather easy to set the environment
variable "TZ" as proposed by the "hwclock" manpage.
The TZ env-var takes care of most user space programs to tell them
the proper timezone. But you also have to run "hwclock --hctosys"
at to inform the kernel of this timezone setting (hope I did get that
right). Some filesystem drivers depend on the correct value being
stored in the kernel.

Further information:

Have a look at the following manpages to get more systematical
information about timezones: "hwclock", "tzconfig", "tzselect",
"zic"

Greetings,
Tilman.

__
this part of the mail is still under construction