Hard drive partitioning. My thoughts.

 After reading the replies, and the FHS several times, I've decided to use the
following partitioning scheme.

Currently
6G
hda    2G for WindowsNT, 100M for /, 64M Swap, 1G for /home, and the rest,
almost 2G for /usr.

Proposed.
6G
hda 2G for WindowsNT, 100M for /, 64M Swap, rest for /home.
13G
hdb
4G for /usr, 4G for /opt, 4G for /var, and two 650 M partitions for CD images.

I realise the hdb doesn't quite add up, but this is just an approximation. This
should give me plenty of room for various app's that I want to install. The most
important one being StarOffice. Once I get that installed, I can get the family
used to Linux instead of Windows and hopefully I can wipe the Windows partition
off completely by the end of the year. If any one thinks I should divide the
space differently, I'd like to hear the reasoning. This is based mainly on the
FHS and seems to make sense to me, but I'm still learning about Linux.

Thanks to everyone who had input, and offered their ideas of partitioning
schemes.

Cheers,

     John Gay