Re: newbie needs help veiwing files

Quoting Michel Dänzer <mdaenzer@yahoo.com>:

> --- DOUGLAS HUNTER <l97dh@tay.ac.uk> wrote:
> > When I'm in bash and trying to ls large files I can only see the last
> > part of the file due to it scrolling past too fast.
> > Is there a command to insert that means I can veiw the output page by
> > page and change pages when I want to ?
>
> ls | more
>
> The pipe ('|') feeds stdout from the first command into stdin of the second
> one.

Sorry to drop in without having read the original message. In my opinion "more"
is an outdated command. "more" divides the file to be displayed into
screenfull's, and displays them one screen after another. Program as "less", "
zless" or "most" enable you to scroll through the file to be read. In other
words, you can go up and down, instead of only down. Thus, if you want to look
what files you have in a directory with many files, you can do:

  ls |less

If you want to read a large file with text, you can do:

  less file.txt

----- End forwarded message -----