Very frustrating

Does anyone have a "document" or paragraph that they can cut and paste
and mail to me so that I will know what happens when Debian Linux starts
up ??

I am looking for the SEQUENCE of the start up, the PROGRAMS that are
executed, and the EXACT names of the configuration files (whether HIDDEN
or not).

For example, I have NO IDEA where to go to set the DEFAULT window
manager to ICEWM (which I have found to my liking).

Finally, is it possible to put a new icon on the window desktop so that
I can start a favorite program with just a click?

Help will be greatly appreciated.