Re: How to reset a local printer from the Debian box?

tunelp /dev/lp? -r

Wojciech Zabolotny <wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
: Hi All,
: One of my debian boxes works additionally as a print server for a few
: Win98 and Linux machines. The problem is however, that sometimes users
: send something in the wrong format, or Windows programs crashes in the middle
: of the print job, producing the corrupted output. I would like to provide
: my users with the possibility of cleaning up the print queue, and resetting
: the printer. It can be done with a small perl setuid'ed script, but there is
: a problem with my printer (HP-DJ670C) - There is no way to clean up it's
: buffer and reinitialize it in other way, than by switching off and on the power
: :-(.
: Does anybody know how to reinitialize the printer in software way?
: Please keep in mind, that the trasmission may be stopped in the middle of
: binary data, so sending of any initialization codes in data stream may not
: give reasonable results. The toggling of INIT line in the LPT port probably
: could give good results, but I couldn't find any IOCTL to perform it
: with the standard lpt driver...
: It is possible to rmmod the lpt driver, run the program which takes over the
: lpt ports, sets the INIT line low for a second, and then insmod the lpt
: driver again, but it seems to be a very dirty trick :-(.

: --
: 			Thanks for any suggestions
: 			Wojciech Zabolotny
: 			http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab

: http://www.freedos.org  Free DOS for free people!

: --
: Unsubscribe?  mail -s unsubscribe debian-user-request@lists.debian.org < /dev/null

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *