Re: problems with ppp (think it's the modem)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 08:01:18PM +0100, mek wrote:
> > dear debbie's,
> >
> > since yesterday i have problems setting up my internet-connection.
> > did with pppconfig, did everything as written in my book, but it didnt work at
> > all.
> > now today i saw when i do tail -f /var/log/messages:
> > : abort on (VOICE)
> > : abort on (NO DIALTONE)
> > : abort on (NO ANSWER)
> > : send (ATZ^M)
> > : expect (OK)
> > : ^M
> > : NO CARRIER
> > :  -- failed
> > : Failed (NO CARRIER)
> > : Exit
>
> Try "minicom -s".  This will set up the modem parameters, etc.  You
> should be able to dial to you ISP (use ATDT 1234567 to actually dial the
> phone) and it will show you a screen asking for your ID and password.
> Then it will spew jibberish.  If you can get that far you are doing
> well.

mmm thanx!
in the meanwhile i was messing around in /etc/chatscripts/provider by editing
some lines and it helped, but now i do not see any progress anymore.
de chatscript says:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWERE"
"" ATZ
OK ATDT4

what gives me in /var/log/messages:

NO CARRIER^M
 ^M
 ATZ^M
 OK
-- got it
 send (ATDt4^M)
Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Remote message
local IP adres xxx.xx.xx.x
remote IP adres xxx.xx.xx.xxx

and here it remains:-(

> Also try http://www.grapevine.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and make sure
> you modem is on the good list.

forunately not;-)
it's a cablemodem and it worked well under redhat

mek