hard disk not recognized

I just bought a Dell Dimension XPS T600 with a Maxtor 13.6GB hard disk. I
wanted to install Linux so I repartitioned the drive to leave 6GB free.
Windows works fine on its 7GB. The Linux boot disk (I've tried both Debian
and Red Hat) tells me I don't have a hard drive. I read that the boot
partition needs to be in the first 8.4GB. The existing partition is only 7GB
so I think that is OK. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Thanks

Bob