New drive ready to partition. Just what some recommendations and suggestions.

I recently got a new 13G hard drive. I've installed it as hdb, and moved my
CD-RW to hdc. At the moment I've got a 6G drive with 2G for WindowsNT, 100M for
/, 1G for /home and 2G for /usr. I really need more room for both /home AND
/usr, but I also need more space for /var and /opt and some others. I would like
to make several partitions and use them to my best use, I just wanted to get
some recommendations from the Expert/Experienced before I partitioned this
drive. I also would like to have a few partitions set aside for CD images as I
hope to start selling Software on CD as well.

Right now my box is Slink with several Potato things installed. I plan to do a
full upgrade as soon as Potato settles down after the freeze. I use it mainly
for myself, but my Daughter has an account and as soon as I can get StarOffice
installed, I'll be setting up an account for the wife as well. I recently got
lxdoom installed and working with the .wads from my 3-CD set, and finally got
Netscape installed from the .deb rather than netscapes own package. I'm still
learning quite a bit, but I'm getting to the point where I feel I can tell the
wife that it's stable for general family use. Once I can get everything we need
running in Linux, I'll wipe the WindowsNT partition. My daughter also has a PC
with Window95 for games and such, but I also want to set this up as another
terminal in the future.

SO:

With 13G to play with, what partitions should I make and approximately how
should I divide them up? I realise there are as many answers as people with
PC's, I just want to get a general feel for how big I should make what
partitions.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

     John Gay