package hell

How do I get out of package hell?

In trying to install Enlightenment on my Debian/Corel machine, I've got
myself trapped in all sorts of loops where apt-get, dselect and dpkg all
refuse to install any of the things I need because they can't install other
things that those things depend on.

I've somehow managed to get my X Server uninstalled, and I can't reinstall
it. I get several screens of errors about things that it can't install, and
I can't find any way of piping this output to less or anything so I can see
all the errors. The ones I can see say, for example, that things can't be
installed because they depend on xfree86-common, which it doesn't get up to
installing, because of these errors that come up first.

I've tried everything I can think of. Just now, for example, I told dselect
to remove everything. Then I told it to install xfree86-common. It complains
it can't because "cannot open help file
'/usr/share/doc/xfree-86common/.dhelp'"

I've tried apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade, but I just get the
same errors.

I thought this whole package thing was supposed to make this stuff easier.
This makes windows look like something well organised.

Heeeelp!