Partitioning SparcStation

I have a sun4m machine and Debian installed great on it with one
exception.  It will not boot correctly (or at least the way I'd like it).

The first hard drive has partition 3 labelled as type "Whole Disk".  The
hard drive is then partitioned with 500 MB for / and 500 MB for /tmp.

When I reboot the computer waits at what seems to be a Sun boot prompt.  I
need to manually type in "boot disk1:1" to tell the machine to boot from
the first partition of the first disk.  After doing that I proceed to the
SILO prompt where the Linux boot procedure that I am familiar with
commences.

I really need this machine to be remotely rebootable ... can it be done?

Thanks,

Fraser