Re: root should be able to do anything... right???

On 17/1/2000 Ron Rademaker wrote:

Last week I've send a mail about a weird file, that should be a directory
but it was a character device. (/usr/X11R6/include/X11/fonts). It also had
weird permissions:

	c---r-----   1 8224     10280     49, 117 Dec  1  2031 fonts

Now I'm trying to remove this file, the system won't allow me (yes
ofcourse I'm root). I've also tried rm -f.
I've tried to chown the 'file'/'character device' to root and a chmod, the
only thing I get to see is Operation not permitted.

Any suggestions???

the only thing that would stop root from doing those things is the immutability bit (or a read only filesystem but that gives a different error), see what lsattr says about it if it shows something like ----i--- then it is immutable, you can try to run chattr -i fonts but that might not work if something is really screwed up. (as that file looks to be)

if the kernel thinks its immutable but chattr does not or won't remove the immutable bit, i have no idea how you will get rid of that thing!

Ethan