Re: Partitioning SparcStation

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 04:17:10PM +0000, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I have a sun4m machine and Debian installed great on it with one
> exception.  It will not boot correctly (or at least the way I'd like it).
>
> The first hard drive has partition 3 labelled as type "Whole Disk".  The
> hard drive is then partitioned with 500 MB for / and 500 MB for /tmp.
>
> When I reboot the computer waits at what seems to be a Sun boot prompt.  I
> need to manually type in "boot disk1:1" to tell the machine to boot from
> the first partition of the first disk.  After doing that I proceed to the
> SILO prompt where the Linux boot procedure that I am familiar with
> commences.
>
> I really need this machine to be remotely rebootable ... can it be done?

You will need to configure the PROM boot device. Check the PROM settings
(can't remember the exact ones but "help" should get you started).

Most likely this is caused by the boot device being changed, or your drive
not being on the expected SCSI ID.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '