Re: Upgrading pcmcia-* breaks ppp

Hi Christopher S. Swingley; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> > The other poster has suggested removing setserial; is there anything
> > bad that can result from it (i.e. what does setserial do on a laptop)?
>
> The reason the poster suggested that is because by default setserial
> will store and reload serial port configuration information before
> PCMCIA card services tries to load a serial port associated with the
> modem card you insert.  Often what happens is setserial assigns
> /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS3 and irqs 3 and 4.  When card services tries
> to allocate resources and interrupts to the PCMCIA modem card it can't
> find a free IRQ.
>
> I haven't tried this solution yet with 3.1.8, but I'll give it a shot
> tomorrow and see if I can get my Xircom modem to work with the latest
> PCMCIA.
>
> Chris

FWIW, my setserial is seeing the port ttyS1, even though it is disabled
in the bios. /cat/interrupts, OTOH, does not show irq 3, which makes me
think one of those information is wrong. But the fact that the modem is
slow while using irq 3... and if I disable ttyS1 through setserial
command, I can't get ttyS1 (now owned by pcmcia) to work at all with the
card(s).
damir