problem compiling licq's qt-gui

I just downloaded the source to licq 0.75.1 and compiled it fine, no
problems.  However, I'm trying to build the qt-gui that it comes with and
am getting an error and I might need some help figuring out just what is
wrong with my setup.  I am pretty certain it doesn't have anything to do
with qt, but rather with the libraries installed on my machine.

I installed qt-1.44 and 2.0 myself and have compiled many things with
them, including this qt-qui (older versions).  However, since the last
time I did this, I ran into some dependency problems trying to install the
y2k-update packages from http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ .  The packages
are no longer there for obvious reasons.  :)  But some of them were g++,
libstdc++, and libstdc++-dev.  I had been downloading the .debs and using
dpkg -i to install, and some of them were dependent upon *each other* so
it was impossible to install that way.  Later I just put the URL into my
sources.list and let apt and dselect do it for me and it ended up working.

At any rate, here is the error (please bear with me for a minute):

gcc -shared  adduserdlg.lo authuserdlg.lo awaymsgdlg.lo chatacceptdlg.lo
chatdlg.lo editgrp.lo editskin.lo eventdesc.lo ewidgets.lo
fileacceptdlg.lo filedlg.lo icqfunctions.lo licqgui.lo mainwin.lo
messagebox.lo mledit.lo optionsdlg.lo outputwin.lo passworddlg.lo
plugindlg.lo qmultilineeditnew.lo registeruser.lo searchuserdlg.lo
securitydlg.lo showawaymsgdlg.lo sigman.lo skin.lo skinbrowser.lo
userbox.lo utilitydlg.lo wharf.lo qmultilineeditnew.moc.lo
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/qt/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lqt -lSM -lICE
-lX11 -lXext -lXss -lstdc++ -lnsl -lc  -Wl,-soname -Wl,licq_qt-gui.so -o
.libs/licq_qt-gui.so
ld: cannot open -lstdc++: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [licq_qt-gui.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/jamesb/src/licq-0.75.1/plugins/qt-gui-0.70.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/jamesb/src/licq-0.75.1/plugins/qt-gui-0.70.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I believe this has something to do with my hack-job attempt at installing
those y2k-update packages a little while back.  I can't figure out what
the heck I am missing though.

Here's something that may be related.  In dselect (yes I have updated the
package list) I see this:

    ------- Removed Required packages in section base -------
  ** Req base     libstdc++2.9 <none>      <none>

But if I run dpkg --status libstdc++2.9 I get the following output:

Package: libstdc++2.9
Section: base
Installed-Size: 552
Maintainer: Debian EGCS maintainers <egcs@packages.debian.org>
Source: egcs (1.1.2-0slink2)
Version: 2.91.66-0slink2
Replaces: libstdc++2.9-ss (<< 2.91.67)
... etc.

My /etc/apt/sources.list has the following lines:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

How can this be?  Something just isn't making any sense.  Can anyone
assist?