Trouble with dselect.

My aim was to build a custom kernel, so I installed the kernel-source
package for 2.0.38 kernel version. I propably should have also installed
the headers package as well, but I did not notice it since it is located
in the base section, not the development.
 It was after this that the problems occured: dselect refuses to install
or remove the kernel source packages. Here are the error messages that I
got last time:

installation script returned error exit status 139

unpacking kernel-source...

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-source-2.0.38_2.0.38-0_all.deb (--unpack)

subprocess dpkg-dep --fsys -tarfile killed by signa (Segmentation fault)

Errors where encountered while processing: /var/... (the same file as
above) ... _all.deb

E:Subprocess returned an error code (1)

( some text like: fix the errors and install later)

Press enter to continue

inst script returned error exit status 100

The system seems to be just okay otherwise. dselect even installs other
packages than the source or the header packages.
 Please, help me.  I am xtremely grateful for all the assistance I can get
for fixing this thing (=getting the package installation going again.)

						Jussi Mattila