Re: Booting Linux and Win 98

Kent West wrote:

> Gateway E-4200 Pentium II-400, 4GB drive, 128MB RAM, VX700 17"
> monitor, 3COM 3c509c NIC, es1371 sound card, ATI Rage 128. I've
> had trouble getting my sound card to work 100% (not at all in
> VMWARE, and only about 40% in Linux), and I can't run VMWARE in
> full-screen mode (issues with the Rage 128 driver I believe), but
> I've got enough screen real-estate that I'm running my X server
> at about 1152x900, which allows my to run NT on VMWARE at
> 1024x768 in window-mode and still see the entire screen of NT.
>
> I used to run it on a Gateway P5-200 with 64MB RAM and 4 2-GB
> SCSI drives (I'd love to have those drives back). On this machine
> (I don't remember the video card spec) I was able to run VMWARE
> in full-screen mode, so someone walking up to the machine would
> have no idea whatsoever that it wasn't an NT box.
>
> On both machines, performance if okay as long as you only run one
> virtual machine at a time. If you try to run two or more vm's
> (such as WinNT and Win98) at the same time, performance becomes
> pretty bad. I suspect more RAM would solve that. However, that
> would be pretty sweet for a helpdesk-type position, because when
> a caller has Win98, click, you're in 98; if they have NT, click,
> you're in NT; if they have 95b, click, you're in 95; if they have
> a real OS, click, you're in Linux.

Yes, I'm familiar with how VMware works. I had the trial version (1.1)
installed a while back. I got pretty much everything to work in the
Win98 vitual machine running in Linux, and could run in full screen mode
etc, but I wasn't real happy with the performance - not enough so anyway
that I would buy it.

I was running it on a PII 233 with 128 MB of RAM. It *was* a lot of fun
to play with, it was stable, and like you said it would be very useful
for tech support work,  but just too slow on that machine to do much
real work  - without getting annoyed.

I was just curious, since you seemed satisfied with it, what kind of
machine you were running it on.

Thanks for response.

Tom