Re: Booting Linux and Win 98

Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what are the basic specs (processor, RAM etc.) of the
> machine where you are using VMware as you describe below?
>
> Tom

Gateway E-4200 Pentium II-400, 4GB drive, 128MB RAM, VX700 17"
monitor, 3COM 3c509c NIC, es1371 sound card, ATI Rage 128. I've
had trouble getting my sound card to work 100% (not at all in
VMWARE, and only about 40% in Linux), and I can't run VMWARE in
full-screen mode (issues with the Rage 128 driver I believe), but
I've got enough screen real-estate that I'm running my X server
at about 1152x900, which allows my to run NT on VMWARE at
1024x768 in window-mode and still see the entire screen of NT.

I used to run it on a Gateway P5-200 with 64MB RAM and 4 2-GB
SCSI drives (I'd love to have those drives back). On this machine
(I don't remember the video card spec) I was able to run VMWARE
in full-screen mode, so someone walking up to the machine would
have no idea whatsoever that it wasn't an NT box.

On both machines, performance if okay as long as you only run one
virtual machine at a time. If you try to run two or more vm's
(such as WinNT and Win98) at the same time, performance becomes
pretty bad. I suspect more RAM would solve that. However, that
would be pretty sweet for a helpdesk-type position, because when
a caller has Win98, click, you're in 98; if they have NT, click,
you're in NT; if they have 95b, click, you're in 95; if they have
a real OS, click, you're in Linux.